Saturday, March 1, 2008

We meet her tomorrow!!

We are in Khabarovsk, Russia. Today is Sunday, March 2. It is election day here. Russia is electing a new president. We arrived yesterday afternoon and were met at the airport by Lena. The money exchange place at the airport was closed as were all the banks when we got here. Luckily we could eat in the hotel restaurant last night and charge it to our room. We had pelmeni (little meat ravioli type things). Mine was plain and Todd's was in broth. It was ok. I almost said nothing to write home about but I guess that's what I'm doing! We slept really well last night. The hotel is nice. It is so hot inside that we had to open our window to cool off! This morning we walked down the street with Catherine and Kathy to a bank and got our rubles. We got many stares as noone in there spoke any English. Then we walked to this market. That was a really cool experience for me. Part of it is outdoors and a little like a flea market with all kinds of things for sale. Indoors was the food. There is a produce section, meat section, bread, etc.... You pay for each thing at the booth you buy it from. After much pointing, grunting, and exchanging of money, we left with bread, cheese, salami, grapes, apples, and juice. Kathy showed us these little fried pie type things that had potatoes inside. They were awesome! We ate them on the way back to the Amethyst (our hotel). The weather is really beautiful today. It was cold but not at all unbearable and we enjoyed walking around town a bit. We may go out again later today.
Tomorrow is the big day! We will be picked up at the hotel at 10:00 and get to visit the orphanage until 1:00. I can't tell you all the emotions I am feeling. I just can't wait to meet her and can't believe that in less than 24 hours we will! We were told that the kids are being quarantined at the orphanage due to chicken pox and the flu. I hope that she is well for our visit (and always). We have a bag of toys and snacks to take to entertain her and a list of questions we are wanting to ask the orphanage director and doctor. Please pray that our first meeting goes well.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
I can't believe your day is FINALLY here. Little Valerie doesn't know that she is about to become the luckiest girl in the world. I would love to see the minute you both get your hands on her!! Saw the rest of your family today- all is great!
Love You-Donna

Megan said...

How exciting! I can only imagine how great it will feel for you guys to actually get to see and hold her! I can't wait to hear all about how beautiful she is! I am praying my heart out!
Megan

Anonymous said...

It all sounds so exciting! I'm praying that everything goes well. I know that it will! I'm looking forward to hearing all about her, and seeing pictures of her in your arms. I love you so much! Ginger

Elle said...

Best wishes! And get your camera out on the drive to the orphanage. You'll pass the Circus and it is beautiful when the sun is shining. The gold dome peeks through the trees.

Foods to avoid in the Amythyst Restaurant: fried river trout (whole fish with head), and the scallops. Don't let those ladies sway you on that. This Northwest woman thinks they are little fried bits of rubber. ewww.

And you are lucky you didn't bring Blaine. If they are having a Chicken Pox outbreak they would not have let him into the orphanage and you would have had to meet your little girl one at a time.

Have fun tomorrow (today) and remember, lots of photos.

Kelly said...

Been thinking about yall....I'm trying to figure out the times like, if you're blogging our time or their time...make sense?? Anyway, by now I'm sure you've met your little one....I'm praying so much that it was a good visit. Can't wait to hear all about it, and see pics.
Love yall,
Kelly

Christi said...

Oh my gosh!!! It's almost time!!! I have butterflies for you! This is the most exciting thing. I can't wait to do it myself soon. We'll be checking the blog all day.

Clint and Christi

Anonymous said...

Todd & Cindy,

We just saw Blaine at the Upwards award party. He was doing real well, almost seemed happy to have me pick at him. Todd, if you have trouble communicating, just revert to Spanish. I'm sure that is the universal language over there too! We know you just had a joy filled day. Congratulations on finally getting to see her! Love, Billy & Donna

PollySue-Mama said...

Hi sweet ones,
I am watching the time, and feel like you are on the way back to the hotel by now. Can hardly wait to hear from you!!! Everyone is calling and asking if we've heard anything yet.
Took Blaine to the Upwards Award party and then gave him a big hug bye afterwards as he was going home with Grama and Pa. Had a lump in my throat. He is such a grown up little boy!!! Will miss him, but know he was looking forward to being with them for a few days and they were looking forward to having him, too. He really enjoyed getting to talk to ya'll today. So glad you called. Email me first chance you get and fill me in on the details of your visit with our precious little Valarie.
I love you both!!!
Mama/Polly Sue

Anonymous said...

Cindy and Todd,

I hope you guys had a good visit with Valerie today. I'm dying to hear an update from you, but I know that you have a lot on your plate. Just know that there are a bunch of people who love you and miss you and are praying for you and baby Valerie. I love you guys. -Uncle Bryan