Monday, March 3, 2008

We met our little girl!

Todd and I woke up very early this morning with much anticipation and excitement for our first meeting with our little girl. We met Lena, our translator, in the hotel lobby this morning at 10:00. Then we picked up Irina, our coordinator, and headed to the orphanage. Talk about butterflies. We first met with the orphanage doctor who filled us in on Valerie's health over the last 18 months. We got to ask many questions and she was very patient and helpful. Then we waited just a little while and watched Catherine as she met one of her little ones. Then before we knew it, the door opened and in walked Valerie in one of the caretakers arms. She looked a little unsure of what was going on. I snapped a quick picture. I have dreamed about this moment for over a year now and our first meeting exceeded all expectations. The caretaker walked over to where we were sitting and put Valerie down beside me. She reached up with both arms and I picked her up and snuggled her to me!!! It was incredible!!! After I sat there and held her a little while we went over to the rug and sat down and played and she got right up in Todd's lap. She wasn't afraid of either of us and loved to be held. We played with lots of the toys we brought. She looked scared and threw the bear down when we first handed it to her but when we made a game out of tossing it back and forth she loved it - Thanks, Gin! One of my favorite parts of the whole visit was when we went to this blue mat right in front of a mirror. She had a ball playing with herself in front of that mirror. She would kiss and pattycake. She can imitate everything we do. She was very quiet the whole time but towards the end of our visit began to laugh out loud, blow her lips, and make cute little noises. Her little personality began to come out and we think she is precious. She loved to sit in your lap and throw her body backwards and lood around the room upside down. We have some great pictures and video and can't wait to show her off! At the end of our visit she seemed to be getting a little sleepy and I just stood there and held her. She laid her little head down on my shoulder and totally relaxed. It felt wonderful! She really seemed to enjoy Todd today and went back and forth between us often. We could not have asked for a better 1st visit and just can't wait to see her again tomorrow.
Blaine, I miss you like crazy. You are the best son ever and are going to be the best big brother in the world!! You're gonna love Valerie!
Thank you all so much for your prayers. This has been quite a process but today we definitely feel it is all worthwhile. God has truly blessed us in so many ways! We can't complete her adoption for several more months so please continue praying. We love you all!


Kelli, I haven't even been paying attention to the post times! I'm borrowing Catherine's computer and it's on Pacific Time! They just got WiFi here and I'm sick that I didn't bring my own computer as I thought I wouldn't be able to get internet. Anyway, it's `3:59 pm here on Monday, March 3. We went to 2 doctors today for the medicals for Todd and I after our visit with Valerie.

11 comments:

Christi said...

Yeah!!!! I knew it would go perfectly! You two are meant to have this sweet baby V - God knows what he is doing! I can't wait to see the pics when ya'll get home. Clint said tonight that he is so jealous that Todd got to hold his baby girl. He is so happy for ya'll too. Sleep well and have a happy visit tomorrow. Congrats Mom and Dad! Try to unwrap that from around your little fingers! We love ya'll.

Clint and Christi

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!
Glad to hear you got to see her and get a bear in her hands-can't start thinking about the green and gold too soon ;) It'll be fun to see your pics and video.

got a question though...sorry it's off topic---
(I think this is blogworthy, but it's up to you if it's blog appropriate)----

Are ya'll using squatty potties? I google stuff about where you're at and that's what seems to come up the most.

Anyways...sounds like things are going good

Anonymous said...

Words cannot express my joy over the awesome first meeting with Valerie! She sounds so loving and full of personality. God has truly blessed your efforts. That's what happens when people pray and seek His will. Thank you for sharing all the wonder in detail. I feel like I was there and can't wait to see pictures and video. Blaine is such a precious boy and is doing fine. He will love the news tomorrow! Love and hugs, Mom(Dad too)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you both!! Can't wait to see the pictures and hear hear about the 2nd visit. Did she like the snacks you brought? I love you! Gin

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this incredible time. This blog is an amazing tool - the next best thing to being there(without freezing, too!). I am so happy that your first visit was perfect. As I read along, I couldn't help but cry(happy tears, of course!) Bet you can't wait until tomorrow....

Much Love, Donna & Billy

Anonymous said...

WOOHOO...I'm so happy for ya'll!! I can't wait to see the pics, actually I can't wait to meet my little cousin!!! I'm so glad things went to well with the first meet. I love that you blog all of this for us to read, it's almost addicting Cindy! ha! Have fun with your little girl V!!
Love ya'll~
Amy

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way for me to start my morning. I just couldn't wait to get up this morning and read how things went. I knew she would love the both of you. You are both such wonderful parents. I am looking forward to many adventures that little kylie and valeria will have. Love to all
Meredith, Cy, and Kylie

Megan said...

YEAH!!!

I had tears in my eyes while I was reading! I am so excited for you guys!!!! There is so many people praying for your family. I can't wait to see all the pictures and hear about the next visit! Thank goodness for the blog!

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful Cindy!!! I couldn't be more excited for you guys, and to be honest, me too. I can't wait to meet my niece! Please pass along my love to Todd and Valerie. I will continue to pray for you all. -Uncle Bryan

PollySue-Mama said...

I could hardly wait to get up and get the computer turned on this morning!!! God is so good!! I have prayed that she would just know and love both of you the minute she saw you and it sounds like she did. Tears flowed while I was reading and still tear up everytime I think about ya'll and our precious little one. We are longing for the day to come when we can see and hold her, too. I know Blaine is going to love her so much and he'll be a wonderful brother to her. Printed it off for Larry to read and to take to Nana and Bub. I know you can hardly wait to get back to see her again and we can hardly wait for the next update. We are looking forward to the pictures and video. Martha called for a report early this morning--they send their love. Have a blessed day. You are in our prayers.
Love you so much!!!
PS/Mama

Kelly said...

YEAH! Oh, I had tears in my eyes when I was reading, I'm so so glad it went well and she cuddled!!!! Can't wait to see the pics and video. Enjoy your time, and we'll see you soon.
Kelly