Sunday, February 17, 2008

Just 10 More Days!!

The fact that our trip to Russia is coming up soon really hit home today in the grocery store. I picked up a gallon of milk and looked at the expiration date. It said Feb. 29. and I realized we will be in Russia when this milk expires!! Silly I know, but it just still seemed like a long way off until that moment.

I got to shop for orphanage donations this week and I really enjoyed that. It was fun getting to buy all sizes of clothes and wondering just what size my little girl will be in. I'll have to try some on her while we're there and then guess what I think she'll be wearing in about 3 months when we get to go back and get her. I can't wait to get my hands on her!

I've been thinking alot about how our first meeting will go. I've read so many other blogs and lots of posts about trip 1 on FRUA and everybody has a different story. Some people report that it was love at first sight with the child running into their arms while others say their baby screamed and cried and didn't want to have anything to do with them. Also, many of the children have never seen men before except for maybe a doctor so Todd may seem very scary to her at first. Of course I'm hoping for lots of hugs and interaction so I'm hoping for a good first experience but am also preparing myself for anything! The fact that they have stranger anxiety and don't want to leave their familiar caregiver is a good sign that they know how to bond so that will be a comfort if our little V doesn't take to us immediately. We are going to be armed with bubbles, toys, and some snacks so maybe that will help too!

Some of you have asked us if this is for sure the one we will be getting. The purpose of the 1st trip is to meet the child that has been referred to you and make a decision whether to decline or accept the referral. We feel very good about this child from the limited information we have been given about her as well as a few recent pictures. Did I mention that she is beautiful?! We have been praying for a long time that our first referral would be the child that is meant to be in our family. However, we have also prayed that God would give us the wisdom to know if she is not the one. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to decline a referral but I have visited with people who have and they have ended up with a perfect fit for their family in the end. Another thing we must keep in the back of our minds is that she is not ours until we go to court. It is a very rare thing, but families have lost the child they intended to adopt when a Russian family stepped in and chose to adopt them. This happened more during the long waits for reaccreditation but it is a slim possibility. All this being said, we are feeling very positive about this little girl and are so thrilled to go meet her. When all is said and done, if God intends her to be ours, she will be!

Just 10 more days and we'll be on our way!

4 comments:

Dede said...

Good luck on your first trip. It is so exciting meeting your little one for the first time. Btw, I hope that milk expiration is Feb. 29 instead of Jan. 29! ;-)

Cindy said...

Thanks, Dede. We are so excited. I fixed the expiration on the milk - That would have been pretty nasty!

Megan said...

I am so nervous and excited for you guys! I know you have a million emotions running through your head but I also know how ready you are for all of this. Your strong and can handle anything that comes your way!
Your family is in our hearts and prayers!
Love you
Megan

PollySue-Mama said...

Things went well. Blaine picked out and opened his first pkg. this morning--the Bug book and bubble gum. He had me read your notes on each pkg. before he decided which one he wanted. Read the book to me and will read it to Papa tonight. Got him to school and we talked about ya'll on the way. I told him you were in the plane flying to LA as we were going to school. He told me this is day #1He's doing great and is looking forward to checking the computer when he gets home from school to see if you have sent him an email. Love & prayers!
PollySue-Mama