Thursday, June 5, 2008

GOTCHA!!!

We've got our girl!! This afternoon we went to the big grocery store and stocked up on some groceries and diapers. Then we headed to the orphanage to pick up Valerie. We went in and signed a book, then gave our gifts to the caregivers, social worker, director, and doctor. When we walked back into the hall, someone was bringing Valerie in from playing outside. She smiled and came right to us. I picked her up and we went upstairs to her room where I changed her into the dress we brought for her. Many of her caregivers gathered around and were watching us so I handed her off to one of them and we began snapping pictures. They all held her and gave her a kiss. Then we left. It all happened very fast and was really an emotional experience. We are taking her away from the only life she's ever known. She has been loved but we are giving her a family and she has already brought us so much joy! God has answered our prayers!! We are so blessed to have the daughter that God intended us to have. She is a perfect match for our family!


She did great in the van and did not get upset at all. When we got back to the apartment, we played a while. She and Blaine laugh and laugh together. Then I got supper ready. We had leftover chicken soup that I had made for lunch. It was amazing to watch Valerie eat. I put her in my lap and fed her a spoonful. Then she grabbed the spoon out of my hand, bent over her bowl, and began spooning the food into her mouth so quickly. She didn't chew or anything, just gulped it all down. Todd handed her a piece of bread and she held it in one hand while spooning with the other. She was extremely efficient. It's obvious that she had a very limited amount of time to eat at the orphanage and learned how to get it all down before it got taken away. I'll be glad when she realizes there will always be plenty of food and she can take her time and enjoy it.


After supper, we had a bath. That did not go so well. She only gets sponged off at the orphanage so she's never had a bath in a tub before. She was scared and cried some but she finally splashed around a little. She never really enjoyed it though. After bath, we played a little more. Then I got in the bed with her and sang awhile. She laid right down beside me, cuddled, up and sucked on her fingers. She was still and relaxed but it took her about 30 minutes to actually fall asleep. She looks like a little angel laying there!

We had another Gotcha today! We finally got our luggage! All 3 bags! It was like Christmas around here today. We tore into those bags and were so excited to have all our things. Todd went to the airport and picked them up just before we went to get Valerie. Another answered prayer - Thank you everyone! It was perfect timing because all our gifts were in our luggage as were Valerie's dress and shoes. Aren't they cute? We can't wait to send real pictures instead of headless ones but we have to wait until our 10 day wait is over. We are looking forward to tomorrow and enjoying our time with Valerie so much.

12 comments:

Famille Paypay said...

I'm soooo happy for you guys! You're first day with Valerie sounds exactly like our first day with Nadya. . . so many wonderful memories of that day! I can't wait until your 10 days are up to see her face. Congratulations again! Kathleen

Anonymous said...

I can't begin to tell you the emotions I feel as I read your blog. Am sitting here with tears rolling down my face. God is so good!!! He always takes care of every detail. Can't wait to share the blog with Papa, Nana and Bub. I print it off everyday so they can read it. I can hardly wait to have all four of you sitting at my dinning table so Valerie can taste of some of Mamaw's food. I remember before Blaine could talk and ya'll would come in while I was cooking and he'd go mmmmm-mmmmm So many good memories and now get to make some more with our little Valerie. Keep us posted. Can hardly wait to get up each morning to see what you have written. Love-Hugs & Kisses, Mamaw

Anonymous said...

What a blessing!! We are very happy for ya'll. Enjoy every moment with her.....which I know you will :) Her little dress and shoes you had dressed her in were precious!! We can't wait to meet her. Love you all!!
Jami

blaine
I am so happy because I am comeing to west texas. we can play hunting.
Brooks

valerie,
i can't wait to meet you. i can teach you all about big brothers..
love Paige

Congrats!! I am so happy for you all...I can't wait to see the kids play together...the boys better watch out...Paige has a tag team partner...Have fun and God Bless!!!

Todd

Anonymous said...

Couldn't wait to get on this morning and read your blog. I've been reading and crying. It is so amazing how God's plan for each one of us is so perfect and planned out. God is so good to us! It's just awesome! His ways are so far beyond our simple understanding! God can use a little baby girl to bless the hearts of many and remind us all that he is in control and loves each one of us dearly! Enjoy your little Valerie! ~ Melea

Anonymous said...

As soon as I read the blog I knew how excited you may have been about the bath. What is it about momma's and bath time? We just love our naked little babies. It has to be those precious cheeks. I am certain she will learn to love bath time. I am so overwhelmed with emotion right now as I am sure you guys are too. I will always be amazed at the many ways God shows us love and mercy. I feel his greatest gift is the love of a child and how truly lucky we are to have them. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Love to all - can't wait till all 4 of you are back home.
Meredith, CY, & Kylie

Kelly said...

Oh..I love it! I'm so glad yall had a good day...and yes perfect timing. Got your luggage and then your girl. That sweet baby girl will soon learn to eat slowly...that part just made me cry...seriously, yall are going to be such wonderful parents to her and she will love and enjoy life. We're so happy for yall.
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Finally!! It all came together. I am so happy and relieved for all FOUR of you. What a blessing! You have worked so hard for this day and even weathered through the tough days. I admire your strength and dedication. Some more of the wonderful qualities you will pass on to both kids! I can't wait to see ALL of you!!

Much Love- Donna

Megan said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I can't wait to meet her!
Lots of love!
Megan

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine the joy as I read your blog, as tears running down my face the precious and obnibitant GOD we SERVE. OH! how good is HE, words can't even describe. You guys imbrace every single moment. Thank-You! All 4 of you for touching my heart as you have and for allowing me to watch this experience with you form afar. IN CHRIST LOVE Debbie Chaney

Christi said...

There have been tons of oohs and ahhs around the McCoy house today. McKenna can't wait to "play house with Valerie". Jaxon says that now when he comes to play with Blaine, Valerie can come to our house and play with McKenna (no girls allowed you know). We are so happy for the four of you. We can't wait to get our squeezes in!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I'm so happy we have a new family member! Pass on a big hug and kiss to my nephew and my niece!! Love you guys.

Uncle Bryan

Dede said...

Double congrats on Valerie's Gotcha Day and your luggage Gotcha Day. Woo hoo!