Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

Happy Father's Day, Dad, Larry, Bub, and all you other great fathers we know out there! Todd and I were blessed with great dads. Dads who spent time with us both in work and in play and taught us so many lessons about life. Where would we be without our dads?! We love ya'll and are so blessed to still have you close in our lives, still teaching us things!

Since we are 16 hours ahead of you at home our Father's Day here is ending as you Sunday is just beginning. We brought Todd the movie, Radio, for Father's Day and he is watching it now. Todd is a great husband and an awesome Daddy! He's the kind of dad that is tough and stern and doesn't let his kids get away with anything but also the kind who picks them up, squeezes them tight and tells them everyday how much he loves them. He's the kind of dad that takes Blaine camping in the pasture behind our house, teaches him to ride horses and work cows, plays basketball out front, and wrestles in the living room. He is the kind of dad that prays with and for his kids. He is the kind of dad that gets big tears in his eyes as he watches his newly adopted daughter sleeping. Love you, Todd!

Today was a hot and humid rainy day. We had to stay indoors all morning. I finished off every bit of chocolate I could find. I did yet another load of laundry in the bathtub. I have a blister from wringing out all the clothes. I may kiss my washer and dryer when I get home! My pants are falling off of me, not because I've all of a sudden gotten so slim and trim but because they stretch out really bad when I hang them to dry. After Valerie's nap today, we were all going crazy cooped up in here. We decided to take our chances with the weather and make a run to the store. I was out of Diet Coke! We got lucky because it began to sprinkle as we got near the store and once we got inside there was a downpour. We took our time shopping and once we checked out, the rain had subsided and we ran home. There was so much humidity today that we were all sopping wet. We might be able to handle the west Texas heat but this humidity is rough! We were so glad not to get caught in the storm. The babushkas here have already lectured us a few times on the street. One lady grabbed Valerie's stroller away from Todd, turned it around, and chewed Todd out while pointing at the sun. Don't know what she said and really didn't see a problem. Valerie even had on the requisite sun hat and everything. We just shrug and smile!

Catherine's sister had to get back to work so her nephew, Nathaniel, has come to join the fun and help out. He is 21 and seems really nice. He and Catherine and the kids came down to our apartment for a playdate this afternoon. It was fun and helped pass the time on this looong day.

Tonight after supper (pelmeni, beans, rice, and garlic toast) the sun decided to come out of hiding. I had just bathed Valerie but we decided to go out anyway. It was a gorgeous evening with a nice breeze. We walked down to the river and all felt much better afterward. It's supposed to be a really hot week here next week, in the 90's. We spend 6 more nights here in Khabarovsk, then on to Moscow for our embassy appointment. We're getting closer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Father's day Todd!!! It sounds like things are going good in Russia. It won't be long now....you all are on the down hill side of this trip :) I know the time you all have had together as a family has been very special. We miss ya'll and can't wait to see you. We plan on coming for a visit after ya'll get back. We are moving on July 8th so sometime pretty quick after that. well I better go but we love ya'll and will see you soon.
Jami

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy! I have just spent the past hour or so reading this entire blog. You and Todd are amazing people, and I am SO happy that this is finally happening for you! I can't wait until you get home so I can meet your new daughter! Congratulations!

Jennifer