Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What a Workout!

We've done lots of walking since we've been here but add in a stroller with a heavy baby and it's a whole new ball game! I've felt like I've gotten some good exercise most days but I'm actually sore tonight! We took off with Catherine and all of her crew on quite an expedition. This city is full of hills, stairs, cracked sidewalks, and huge potholes! Also, Todd and I are both really way too tall to comfortably push one of those little umbrella strollers! When you come to a flight of stairs, you have to pick the whole thing up and carry it. I took a spill today but made a good save. I ended up sitting on my rear holding the stroller up over my head. Real cute! Valerie is safe and sound. Nothing was hurt on me but my pride! These two pictures were taken in a big open area in front of the gold church. The kids all had a ball running free here and feeding and chasing all the pigeons. Today was one of those great days where the air is cool and the sun is warm. Just perfect!Blaine gets lots of stares in his cowboy boots! Don't see to many of those here in Khabarovsk! I used to tell him he could wear tennis shoes with jeans too. I even pointed out other children wearing them. His response? "Yeah, but they're not cowboys." You can tell he's feeling much better in this picture.
You can see the shadows of the pigeons that Valerie just scared off! She didn't really understand feeding the pigeons. She kept trying to pick up the popcorn we were throwing and eat it!
This is a pretty picture of the river taken by Blaine. He loves to get my camera and I always find lots of interesting subject matter on there! He's not bad, is he?

We went to lunch at the Intourist Hotel. Valerie was asleep in the stroller when we went in. She woke up about halfway through the meal. I have to say her restaurant behavior is pretty impressive. She was very quiet and happily ate the cream of broccoli soup we ordered for her. About halfway home (just as we started up the really big hill) we all began to get REALLY tired. We had been out and about for 6 hours! I looked at the faces of my family tonight at supper and everybody had dark circles under their eyes. I bet we'll all sleep hard tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom, don't worry about the boots. Just think about where those boots have been and how far they have come. Praise God for all that has happened in your lives and will happen when you return home. We pray for you all daily. Can't wait to see her in person. Roy and
Dee Ann

Anonymous said...

What an outing! I am glad to see Blaine feeling better. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Does Todd wear his cowboy boots too? Their cowboy hats would really draw the stares! I think Blaine is a very good photographer. That picture of the river would be nice as a picture on the wall at home. We love you so much and are eagerly waiting for you to be home. Things are going well here. Love, Grama and Pa XOXOXOXOXOXO

Christi said...

Showoffs! You can't go on a "vacation" and come back looking buff from all of that working out! You need to find some more marshmallows and chocolate! Have you been able to locate any Diet Coke Happy Hours? I think of you everyday from 2:00 to 4:00. Ha!

Rob said...

Sheesh! I remember having to deal with the stroller and those crazy under-the-road passages in Moscow! I'd leave Liam strapped into the umbrella stroller and simply pick the whole thing up and charge up or down the steep stairs. It was certainly a workout!

God bless elevators!