Wednesday, June 11, 2008

One Step Closer

Today we took Valerie to have her picture made for her passport. That puts us 1 step closer to bringing her home!!!

After that, Lena, our translator, took us to the big grocery store. Lena looks like a supermodel. She is very tall, super skinny, and gorgeous. Today she happened to be wearing a tiny little miniskirt and got many stares. Bryan, I forgot my camera today but Catherine took her picture so I'll try to post it later. I think she lives on carrot juice and she seems to get a kick out of watching us shop. I feel sure she doesn't buy things like bacon and ice cream ever! Of course, we have to ask lots of questions because we can't read Russian and don't know what anything is. The first 3 times I tried to buy milk here in Khabarovsk I got home with either Kefir (fermenty yogurt type stuff that Valerie loves) or really heavy cream. It's all in bags not cartons and we've had a couple of wrecks with that in the fridge. What are you supposed to do with a giant floppy bag of milk after you open it? Anyway, Lena showed me to look for the bags that say Moloko. Sure enough, that's milk! I can even get different fat percentages.

I have a whole new empathy for people who are illiterate because that is basically what we are over here. It is frustrating and at times a little scary to not be able to read anything. However, we know this is temporary. I can't imagine never knowing how to read or write. We've had some great adventures and gotten home with some really interesting things from the grocery. Some of them have been pretty good, others not so much.

Valerie is such a little smarty! She can say knock, knock when she knocks on the door. She can also say Dada, Mama, and Bubba. She actually sometimes calls Todd Dada and Blaine Bubba. Does she ever call me Mama? Nope. Today I would say, "Say Mama" and she would say "Dada" and giggle every time. I think Todd may be secretly sabotaging me!! I play this game with her where I make a buzzing sound and spin my finger in the air and then tickle her saying, "tickle, tickle, tickle" Today she came up and did it to me. It was so cute! She buzzed and waved her finger around. When she tickled me it sounded like, "dig-a, dig-a, dig-a"! We keep saying Monkey See, Monkey Do. She imitates every thing Blaine does. They took a bath together tonight and had a ball but they splashed water everywhere! So now the saying is Monkey See, Monkey Do, Monkey gets in trouble too!

Valerie is sleeping well both at night and at naptime. She rocks herself in her sleep at night and it is kind of disturbing to watch. She doesn't do it at all at naptime, just at night. This is just a typical post institutionalized behavior and I've read all about it, talked to other families who've experienced it, and understand why she does it. But it's still hard to watch. Basically, it's her way of soothing herself. She learned to do this because she didn't have anyone to comfort her or rock her at night. That just makes me so sad. She not only rocks but also bounces her head against the pillow or mattress. When she starts that I just have to step in. I am so glad she has us now to rock and soothe and love her. I'm so glad we have her.
Other than the rocking and speed eating, her behaviors are very normal. She is so happy and is picking up new things very very quickly. We are so proud of her! Todd said tonight that it was so nice to have a baby around again and it is!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cindy Lou, glad you guys had a good day today! I like your new rhyming scheme on the Monkey See, Monkey Do...that was cute! I went out to your casa to pick up the trailer on Monday and your house and yard look good. I don't know if someone else mowed it, it was short and green through. Y'all be safe and have fun! You'll be home before you know it and back to the ol' blender! (LOL, Mom reminded me of that the other day). Love you guys.
Bryan

Anonymous said...

Hello, I really look forward to your writing everyday. It just lefts my spirits and make me so glad WE Serve A Risen Lord. Enjoy each other and remember you are so nearing the time to come home. Well, our time is near too, cause in less than 3 days our little girl (Brianna) is getting married. The excitement but also it makes me so happy that she and Cameron are so focused on the LORD and what the LORD wants for them.
IN CHRIST LOVE Debbie Chaney

Elle said...

Milk tip. There is milk in cartons at the little store (just check the expiration date). Otherwise, buy a 20oz soda or get a larger personal water. Drink the contents and then put your milk into that container. Bag problem solved.

And even though you only have 2ish weeks left... learn the alphabet. I'm pretty sure I've told you this one before. You will be upgraded from Kindergartener to 2nd grader in no time. You'll find yourself sounding things out in public, but it makes life at least a little easier.

No, Lena has never eaten more than carrot juice (at least that I've ever seen).

Kelly said...

Hey Cindy,
Awww...you just rock that baby to sleep every night if you want too, for as long as you want too. I'm just thinking she is so young, that probably all she will remember is living with you, Todd, and Blaine. A blessed little girl.
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy, Todd, Blaine, and Valerie. We are sure praising God that things are going well for yall. It is great to keep in touch with your progress. Things are going well here except for the heat. Bryan and I are getting a lot done on the house but the little things to finish up are taking more time than I figured. Maybe we will have it finished by the time yall get home. Blaine are there any fish in all that water that I saw in your picture? We can't wait to see our new granddaughter. Enjoy the rest of your trip and we will see you soon. Love, Pa

Christi said...

Hey there! I am laughing right now at the picture of you trying to make dinner with lots of mystery foods. Just don't look it up until after you've eaten it! Gosh we miss ya'll, but know it will be worth it when you get back. Thanks for the comments BTW! I can't wait until we have both of our families finally complete and together. What will we do with our time then???

Anonymous said...

Cindy,

My mom sent me your blog address so I could follow along with your adoption process. I am so happy for you, Todd, Blaine, and the rest of your family. What a tremendous blessing for you all!! I pray that you will continue to find strength, peace, joy, and rest from the Lord in the coming weeks as you prepare to bring your family home to Texas. I think you said it beautifully when you mentioned what a blessing this time together with just the 4 of you is during this time. While having your family and friends there for support is wonderful, you would never have this opportunity to just be together without other distractions taking time from you. Enjoy it...you have a lifetime to be together. What a blessed time to experience so many things together for the first time and bond. I pray you all develop an incredibly close bond as a family and that you are home soon. I look forward to keeping up with you through this blog and seeing your family next time we come to visit Monahans.

My email is creeves1@sbcglobal.net if you have the time to email!

In Christ,
Charissa Reeves

Anonymous said...

Hey Friends! I've just caught up on your blog after vacation and VBS, both of which were great and went smoothly. Happy late birthday, Blaine, and Happy Father's Day to you, Todd. I can't believe what you guys are going through, and I thought ours was tough. But I know just how you feel, Cindy, when you talk about loving on her, discovering every new little smile, wondering if anybody else has seen that certain look. I remember the day that I looked at Jace, asleep in his bed and a flood of love came over me and I felt like I would crumble under the weight of it. He had been home with us for about a week and I thought I had already bonded with him, but that was the point of fusion. WOW Your blog is bringing it back up and I am praising God for your blessing and ours. Grace to you, peace, and especially patience. We love you,
Bonnie Rives